Sunday, April 19, 2009

Tell Me Again How Cool I Am . . .


This is my Jane Austen action figure. She stands on my dresser, and she GET'S ME, man. I loooove my Jane Austen action figure because it's a funny concept, but I've also spend a good deal of time defending Ms. Austen's work. It's been said to me that she wrote "the most boring books on the planet," and, of course, I couldn't disagree more. I think that her books, for the most part, are funny, well-crafted, and sincere. I also like flowers, romantic gestures, and Han Solo.
Tell me again how cool I am . . .
Sometimes I have a hard time being a girl. I get all emotional, and I worry too much. Sometimes I think that I missed my era. I mean, there was a time when a chick could get all crazy to the point of falling into a swoon, and not only would people typically not think less of her, chances are, someone would actually catch her, and be happy to do so at that. Sometimes I just want to go all hysterical. Sometimes I want someone to yell, "Stella!" at me. Well, you know what I mean . . .
Anyway, maybe I've lived too far off the ground for too long. Maybe I have some kind of "princess in a tower" complex, and, to be quite honest, if some guy came by on horseback, even I'd be snarky enough to yell down, "Hey, Dudley Do-Right, Canada's that way!" Or, you know, as we like to call it, "South Detroit." I shouldn't complain, actually. Even if they don't wear tights anymore (well, not usually), I know what heroes look like, and even if all of my girliness isn't completely understood, it might still very well be appreciated for what it is . . . Just me being me . . . glow-in-the-dark star stickers on my ceiling, the fact that I'll probably be teaching tap dancing this summer, Jane Austen action figure, and all.
I'll tell you how cool I am. I'm as cool as I ever was and ever will be.

No comments: